Common questions from a FIRST TIME MUSHROOM GROWER
- HOW MUCH MUSHROOM SPAWN WILL I NEED? When you are practising, work on a 50% yield. As you perfect your technique, your yield will improve – the optimum being 20kg mushrooms:20kg substrate (lime pasteurisation). Depending on the method you use, anything from 1% to 10%. We were very pleased to hear that one of our customers is achieving a 150% yield.
- HOW DO I TRANSPORT THE MUSHROOM SPAWN? We use and recommend overnight courier. For outside South Africa, it is best to find out about import regulations before hand, and make arrangements with your preferred courier.
- HOW DO I STORE MUSHROOM SPAWN? In a refrigerator at 3-5 degrees C.
- HOW LONG CAN I STORE MUSHROOM SPAWN? Preferably use within a month.
- WHAT SIZE BAG SHOULD I USE FOR MY MUSHROOM GROW LOG OR GROW KIT? That is dependant on your substrate and facilities. We have worked with bags from 30cm x 12cm to 85cm x 30cm.
- HOW MUCH SUBSTRATE SHOULD I PUT IN THE BAG? As much as possible. You want to have as few air gaps as possible. Well compacted.
- WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MUSHROOM CULTURE AND MUSHROOM SPAWN? The image below is a mushroom culture. The top image is mushroom spawn.
- WHAT STRUCTURE OR BUILDING CAN I GROW OYSTER MUSHROOMS IN? This is all budget dependent, but the main thing is that your room/structure is well insulated. Seal all openings with virus mesh to keep small insects at bay.
- HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE UNTIL THE FIRST MUSHROOMS ARE READY TO BE HARVESTED? It takes between 14 to 30 days for the mushrooms to be ready for harvesting.